Forum home Fruit & veg

Too late for pumpkins?

I took on an allotment last week and I'm a completely new to fruit and veg growing. 

I have been gifted 4 pumpkin plants that are about a foot high. I have planted them out with wood ash but as I was doing so an experienced allotmenteer told me to just put them in the compost heap as it's too late.

Before I give up I wondered if it really was too late? Is it worth trying maybe and if so are there any tips that you can give me to try to get something come late autumn. I know they need a lot of feeding and have comfrey tea stewing. Will the comfrey be enough to feed them? Any advise would be greatly received.

Last edited: 25 July 2017 09:05:37

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,736

Actually you could PLANT them (or one of them) in your compost heap (if you have a working one) and they'd probably do well in the extra warmth and with all that food. I think as you've been given them you should plant them, not waste them. We may get a lovely mild autumn - we did last year - and you may well get some fruit off them, albeit possibly not prize winning sizes. If we get a cold, wet September you may only get male flowers and no pumpkins. But then what's to lose? Give it a go unless you have a real lack of space. 

Feed and water are the key, the grow fast if they are happy. ETA - I plant mine with a big scoop of well rotted manure. Comfrey feed will be fine for them once they start to flower.

And bear in mind old allotmenteers are a bit prone to the whole sucking their teeth and 'I wouldn't do that if I were you' thing with the newbies. Some are being helpful and some are just being nosy. You'll probably work out which is which soon enough image

Last edited: 25 July 2017 09:19:37

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I planted mine late last year (East Riding Of Yorkshire) and did well.  This year I planted them out perhaps a little too early but the plants are very large and have just started to produce fruits this week.   Infact I have a problem in that one plant has grown through some wire mesh over into my strawberry patch and has the largest of the fruits on the plant!

I could loose some of my strawberries this year!!!

• mchllhswfmchllhswf Posts: 4

I thank you all! It very much is worth a go, thank you for giving me the confidence. I was scared of looking too much like a wally to the elders as I tend to something that all is lost. My aim is to harvest something edible.

I will try my best. Thanks again!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,072

I agree with the others.  If you don't have any room on your compost heap to grow them, mix as much well rotted manure into the soil as you can and cover it with some black plastic sheet, then plant them through a hole in that.  The sheet will keep the roots much warmer than in open ground and pumpkins love having warm roots. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • mchllhswfmchllhswf Posts: 4

Thank you! I have just found bits of black sheeting in a scrap pile. I'll get on with that this evening.