Forum home Plants

What is this plant?

JuniferJunifer Posts: 5

Hi everyone this is my first post in the forum. I am hoping to renovate my garden which has not really been touched since we moved here 17 years ago. I'm starting by evaluating what is there that's worth keeping, then I'll take it from there.

Along the fence line there are a number of tree/shrub type things which I've always thought were very pretty. Lovely red berries in the winter and pretty leaves which don't seem to fall off. I have a gap that seriously needs plugging and I'm wondering if another one of these would be the best thing to fill it, assuming that I can buy a big enough specimen so that I don't have to wait too long for it to grow. I need fence screening coverage plus growth upwards to maybe a foot or so above the 6ft fence.

Anyway, that's the background. Does anyone know what this tree/shrub is? Took this photo today.

• It looks like a Dogwood (Cornus Alba) from the leaves and although the berries haven't ripened yet, they seem at different orientation/cluster to the ones I'm familiar with. Maybe Dove, NutCutlet, Silversurfer or Borderline will be along with an accurate ID image

Last edited: 24 July 2017 18:46:43

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

It looks like a type of Dogwood.

• See what I did there image

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700

Very good Dave Hedgehog (didn't know you could edit after another member has posted)...but sadly I'm not very clued up on Dogwoods. I'll leave it to the experts!

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,145

Cotoneaster ???

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,494

I think cotoneaster as well

• JuniferJunifer Posts: 5

Cotoneaster is sort of what I was thinking, although my only experience of cotoneaster is the one that grows horizontally on a wall with the tiny green leaves and loads of red berries. This plant has more of a 'tree' habit, the berries are very red in winter and the leaves seem to be a darker green then but they don't fall off (as far as I can recall). I wondered if this could be the tree type Cotoneaster Cornubia but I'm not at all sure. There has been a lot of new growth recently after a garden tidy-up squad gave them a bit of a hedge type pruning last year.

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

Help with ID please.

I have seen it before but I cannot remember what is.  Aquilegia came to mind but I am not sure.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Geranium Robertanium or an Aquilegia.

Last edited: 24 July 2017 20:13:27

• JuniferJunifer Posts: 5
    Iamweedy says:

Help with ID please.

I have seen it before but I cannot remember what is.  Aquilegia came to mind but I am not sure.

See original post

You need to start a new thread!