Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

Just found this in my front garden. I can't pinpoint the scent - maybe like chamomile?  It has minute whitish lavender coloured antirrinum shape flowers.

image  image

By the way, my previous mystery plant is growing well! It is producing side shoots/leaves but no sign of buds. I had another suggestion that it might be fig leafed hollyhock but I should mention that the leaves are not smooth & shiny (like rose leaves) but have a very soft velvet texture.  

• I've just looked up on google the leaf shape for the hollyhock and your picture doesn't look the same, 

In the google picture the leaf is darker green and shiny and has deeper serration.

I wondered if it is some kind of hogweed.

sorry don't know your other plant

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867

The first pic looks like lemon balm - do the leaves smell lemony?
    It could also possibly be some sort of dead-nettle
    No idea what your triffid is though..

Last edited: 24 July 2017 12:52:35

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,249

The first pic looks to me like Stachys palustris - Marsh woundwort. 

The large leaved plant looks similar to me to  Datura stramonium -  Thornapple   https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=536 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

i think that big one is something in the Malvaceae family. Definitely not Hogweed, and I don't think it's Thornapple

I think the little one could be Common Hemp Nettle

• Thanks folks. Yes Pete, it's Lemon Balm!  image.  I had a huge clump 3 houses ago so should have recognised it. Swine to get rid of but maybe I shouldn't have!    image See link.

http://www.annsentitledlife.com/how-does-your-garden-grow/why-you-need-lemon-balm-in-your-garden/

The other plant is obviously proving more of a challenge!  Will check out the other suggestions. image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867

I didn't realise it had so many uses - and it smells nice :)
    It pops up here and there in my garden - I pull a lot up but always leave a few clumps. I don't think I've ever done anything other with it other than smell it while I'm weeding - but that's nice enough

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.