Forum home Plants

Agapanthus

Helen339Helen339 Posts: 15

i have potted up an agapanthus that was originally straight into the ground. It would not flower. My question is - now it's been potted will I have to take in in the winter

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472

Depends where you are. Often you can get away with it being up against a south facing wall, or if it is really freezing hard, put it in the garage while it is dormant.  Keep it on the dry side in winter.

• turmericturmeric Posts: 825

Hi Helen, as I understand it, if the leaves are broad the agapanthus is more tender and therefore needs to come inside during the Winter (the narrow leaved variety are hardier). But I would also take into consideration your location and the location of the pot.  I'm in the SW so it's a bit milder and, if the pot is against a warm house wall and/or south facing it would be protected from the worst of the weather.  If you didn't take it in when it was in the ground (which I'm sure you didn't) then it should be fine outside in a pot. Perhaps consider wrapping the pot during the Winter so it doesn't freeze. But I'm sure someone will be along soon if I'm wrongimage

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

I have some in the ground and one in  a pot. I put the latter in a cold frame over winter and it flowers earlier and better than the others but they all survive. A very severe winter could kill off the outside ones. Don't be too disappointed if your newly potted plant takes a year or two to flower.

• Helen339Helen339 Posts: 15

Thank you so much for your quick responses. my location is west Sussex so winters are reasonable. I think i will follow your advice and fleece in the winter And find the best sheltered spot.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,300

All mine are in pots and I bring them in to a cold GH for the winter (Surrey) - but its more to keep them dry than to keep them warm.  Can you rig up some sort of cover for them (under a bench or something)

From this you will appreciate that I am a garden novice.  So do I keep them completely dry, no attention at all through the winter?

Thats the advice I have always followed - bring in about late October, pull off leaves as they go yellow/brown and then just leave them.  I start watering again in about March image

I don't have a shed or a greenhouse. Would the garage be too dark

They might not like a garage - can you bring them close to the wall of the house and rig up some sort of shelter - some planks on bricks would do

Good thinking. I'll manage I'm sure. Thanks once again for your kind responses