Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog Food

ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315

Hi everyone...my particular hoggy is very fussy when it comes to food, it loves Mealworms ( but only in small doses ) but it won't really touch the Spikes dry biscuits or the Spikes moist nibbles.

So, for those of you that feed a Hoggy or Hoggies what do yours prefer.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Mine love  the beef chunks in Bakers meaty meals.(as does the fox) They will also eat cat food out of a tin or those gourmet sachets.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,291

mine have Waitrose own brand chicken cat food.

Devon.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Mine also have chicken or meat flavoured cat biscuits, the cheap ones do the job. Dog food works as well, the idea behind biscuits is that they help 'self-clean' their back teeth. Make sure to provide a shallow dish of water too, they are often de-hydrated. image Try without mealworms & see if you have any luck, they will always be chosen over other food as they are somewhat the equivalent of McDonalds with little nutritional value but great for drawing the hogs around in the first place. 

Last edited: 23 July 2017 21:54:33

• ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315

OK, thanks for the suggestions, I will take away the Mealworms ( She is not going to like that ) and see if I can tempt her onto the Spikes.

But, if that fails I'll try some cat/dog food ( which I didn't want to use as I don't want to attract anymore cats into the garden ) and we'll so how it goes.

Sheps, try thisimage.

It keeps the cats and foxes away, but Spikey doesn't mind a bit going in for it.

Devon.
  • ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315

Thanks Hosta...I was looking and thinking about traps like yours this morning, but if I bought one I would probably use it for its intended purpose.

Looks like the Hoggy boxes I bought will have to do, I just need to make the entrance on the feeding station box a little smaller, it should have been 120mm x 120mm but I asked the guys at Riverside to make it 140mm x 140mm as my Hoggy looked quite large. In hindsight that was a mistake as it makes it easier for cats to get in a steal the food.

• I feed a mixture of mealworms, Spikes hedgehog food, cat biscuits and wet cat food. The dish is cleared every night. Saw a slug crawling in one night and the hog ignored the slug and went for the cat food instead !

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,997

I have seen our hogs sharing their dog food with slugs quite happily! We give them Pedigree original (the loaf one).Nothing else will do & believe me, I've tried image. Try not to give them mealworms,l know they love them but it's like me and a tube of Pringles -I love them but they're no good for me image

nobody said " plentiful".

I give them enough to keep them coming back, but not enough to fill their little hoggy tums.

1 tin of cat food lasts about 5 or 6 nights.

Last edited: 31 July 2017 18:59:07

Devon.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Slugs make up 5% of their diet & is usually what they'll depend on when nothing else is available. Mine will eat half their biscuits at dusk, then go off and forage before making a quick stop before bed, the second amount they eat varies depending on what they've found - at this time of year there's lots of insects. 

Last edited: 31 July 2017 19:46:19