Forum home Plants

Is this a type of prunus?

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453

Hi

I think I have identified this shrub as a prunus but it has lighter leaves than my plant book suggests. I don't recall it flowering before but then it is self seeded and has gradually grown up over the last few years. I'm also not sure if it then gets the berries as described in my book. 

Any thoughts welcome thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,854

no, it's a Hebe

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    nutcutlet says:

no, it's a Hebe

See original post

Lol, I knew I should know what it's called! I've been racking my brains trying to come up with the name and in the end resorted to going through the rhs book by colour, size and season. Clearly didn't do that very well though did I?!?! image

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453

So, just consulted the book again and not sure how I missed the pics of hebes....hey ho. Ideally I would like to keep it about the size it is but info suggests it will grow about three times its current size eventually. It is under a tree and it faces east so really only gets morning and then late afternoon sun so I guess it won't romp away

Do I just keep it trimmed, and what's the best time of year if it needs a prune?

Thanks