Forum home Plants

Delphinium help needed please.

freddfredd Posts: 9

I have a 'Magic Fountains' delphinium. White with a black centre. All flowers now over, so just (green) seed pods remaining. I'd like to collect the seeds. My question is: if I cut halfway down the stem in the hope that the plant may flower again this year, will I lose the seeds? Or will they be ok if I leave the top part of the stem+seed pods in shed to do whatever they do! Apologies for daft question. Newbie gardener :) Thank you. p.s. plant only cost 50p so I don't mind risking losing it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,845

a named Delph won't come true from seed, you'd do better to split or take cuttings if you want more. Seeds need to ripen on the plant, no good harvesting before that. Only drying takes place after harvesting

Last edited: 23 July 2017 12:46:37

• freddfredd Posts: 9

Thanks nutcutlet, that's exactly what I wanted to know re seeds. Monty D's advice was to cut plant right down to ground level now, so think I'll do that. Thanks again :) 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,845

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,133

It's ok for Monty to cut his right down to the ground, he doesn't need to save seeds for next, he can go out and buy loads more, your seed may come true, some will, if you're not fussy about colours, leave a seed head stalk on until they're black. 

I'm collecting now, but mine are only blues and lilacs which always come true to colour. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Hi Lyn, that's made me laugh. Am def gardening on a tiny budget and don't mind at all what colour the flowers are, am just pleased to see them! I will follow your advice and leave them on the plant to collect. Thanks so much for replying :) 

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    nutcutlet says:

a named Delph won't come true from seed, you'd do better to split or take cuttings if you want more. Seeds need to ripen on the plant, no good harvesting before that. Only drying takes place after harvesting

Last edited: 23 July 2017 12:46:37

See original post

Is this only true for delphiniums or is a mantra we should apply to all plants?  I took some viola seed pods when they were green and two days later they pinged black seeds all over the worktop where I hadn't wrapped them up properly! I haven't sown them yet - wondering when's best - but will they come to nothing since they didn't ripen on the plant?

Thanks

Hi Stephanie

I don't know the answer to your question. You'd probably be best starting a new thread which should mean you get lots of replies. Good luck :)