I have no Butterflys - help

Hi - A few years ago I planted a Buddleia hedge - last year it was packed with Butterflies of all kinds feeding  - I was so happy. This year a full flowering hedge - not a single Butterfly in sight. I garden in South Ayrshire Scotland  - is this a dreadful sign or is it just a 'bad' year. Every time I look at the hedge I worry.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,363

It's been a bad year and butterflies are suffering in many parts.  I normally see masses of commas, tortoiseshell and red admiral amongst many others but hardly any this year.  Quite a few large and small cabbage whites though!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,065

Lots down here, only started to see a few blues this week. 

• B3B3 Posts: 5,001

Plenty down here too. It's been very dry so that's probably helped.

Hope you see some soonimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • heatherbrheatherbr Posts: 2

Thanks for the comforting words -

I am going to start doing the Butterfly count http://www.bigbutterflycount.org/event every year - I always do the Bird one but I am now thinking the Butterfly one would be important as well - it seems I have a previously undiagnosed Butterfly need.

I cant say my garden has ever been dry!  My next step will be to try and plant for Butterfly homes as well as food.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,882

I've seen more butterflies here in Norfolk this year than in the past few years and the number of species is increasing recently too ... I think the warm dry spring we had may have something to do with it.

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,402

Agree, here in South East i've seen more than I can remember. The wild flower meadows are full. Good year for bees & honey too. imageDry & lots of sun (until this week) 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,692

I'm a bit further north from you Heather and I don't usually see any before mid to end of July. In a good year, there might be a few random ones before that, so don't worry too much.

The conditions this year have been slightly different too regarding plant growth at the appropriate times. I saw more at the top of The Brack near Arrochar at the end of May, than I've seen in the garden! image

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,050

It's been a good year on the North Downs in Kent. We have some large wildflower meadows and they're swarming in butterflies.