I have no Butterflys - help

Hi - A few years ago I planted a Buddleia hedge - last year it was packed with Butterflies of all kinds feeding  - I was so happy. This year a full flowering hedge - not a single Butterfly in sight. I garden in South Ayrshire Scotland  - is this a dreadful sign or is it just a 'bad' year. Every time I look at the hedge I worry.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 6,823

It's been a bad year and butterflies are suffering in many parts.  I normally see masses of commas, tortoiseshell and red admiral amongst many others but hardly any this year.  Quite a few large and small cabbage whites though!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,895

Lots down here, only started to see a few blues this week. 

• B3B3 Posts: 6,375

Plenty down here too. It's been very dry so that's probably helped.

Hope you see some soonimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • heatherbrheatherbr Posts: 2

Thanks for the comforting words -

I am going to start doing the Butterfly count http://www.bigbutterflycount.org/event every year - I always do the Bird one but I am now thinking the Butterfly one would be important as well - it seems I have a previously undiagnosed Butterfly need.

I cant say my garden has ever been dry!  My next step will be to try and plant for Butterfly homes as well as food.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 46,939

I've seen more butterflies here in Norfolk this year than in the past few years and the number of species is increasing recently too ... I think the warm dry spring we had may have something to do with it.

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,629

Agree, here in South East i've seen more than I can remember. The wild flower meadows are full. Good year for bees & honey too. imageDry & lots of sun (until this week) 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,900

I'm a bit further north from you Heather and I don't usually see any before mid to end of July. In a good year, there might be a few random ones before that, so don't worry too much.

The conditions this year have been slightly different too regarding plant growth at the appropriate times. I saw more at the top of The Brack near Arrochar at the end of May, than I've seen in the garden! image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,300

It's been a good year on the North Downs in Kent. We have some large wildflower meadows and they're swarming in butterflies.