Forum home Plants

Cheap ideas please for Aug/Sept colour

freddfredd Posts: 9

Morning :) Can anyone give me an idea to fill three decent-sized glazed pots? Am gardening on a small budget, and would like flowers in August and September that will help feed insects. Any ideas for a cheap fix?! Will replant pots with spring bulbs in Autumn, so the flowering plants only need to last until then. Thank you.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,194

Do you mean a perennial rather than annuals fredd? You could certainly get asters reasonably easily, and they could then be planted out in the garden if you have a suitable space, where they would continue to grow and thrive. There are lots of varieties readily available, and they would be happy enough in pots for the rest of the year. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320

dahlias?

Devon.
  • freddfredd Posts: 9

Hi thank you for suggestions. Am new on here, so not entirely sure how this all works! I will investigate dahlias and asters at the garden centre this morning. No space in garden for planting out. The most important consideration is cost. Annuals are fine :) 

If you prefer annuals, you're unlikely to find anything now, but you can certainly do a bit of research for next year, and sow some yourself in spring. There are hundreds to choose from, so it may take a while!

We also have a seed swap on the forum, so I'm sure if you ask - there'll be plenty of seeds on offer to you for just the price of postage  image

Thanks fairygirl, that's all good to know :) Annuals weren't really a preference. I just thought there might be something nice and cheap, available to plant now, that would do the job.

If you have one of those cheapo shops near you, they often have excess plants at this time of year, and some of those might suit you. I noticed the one I go to for bits and pieces had French lavender. 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Hi Fredd, most GC annuals have been bred for their showy & repeat flowering value rather than having lots of pollen for insects, any late Summer flowers should still be going in August/September. Some annuals like Cosmos, Sunflowers & Borage are exceptions. Perennials like Rudbeckia, Echinaceas, Verbena bonariensis, Dahlias, Salvias, Agastaches, Penstemons should all keep going until the first frosts. image

Last edited: 23 July 2017 09:02:16

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299

Plenty of good sized dahlias, chrysanths asters in the garden centres now,, all pollen rich.and Marks suggestions.

tHaNk yOu friends. You're brilliant. Why have I only just joined?! Mark, yes, I didn't realise that the pollinators wouldn't be interested in all the annuals I bought earlier this year. I've got sunflowers, cosmos, verbena all flowering - didn't know how long they would last - but from what you've said, they should keep going for a while longer. Will investigate your other suggestions. Thanks again :) 

fredd - the thing with annuals is to keep deadheading so that they produce more flowering buds. Annuals aim to flower and set seed before dying in one season, so if you keep removing that potential seed, it encourages them to create more in order to survive. 

A feed through mid to late summer will help prolong their life too. If you  have them in pots of compost, there's only so much nourishment left by late July/early August  image