Forum home The potting shed

Desert island plants

Assuming that your desert island grows wild food ample for your nutritional needs, what would be your one luxury plant?

I think maybe freesia or lily of the valley, for the fragrance.

• B3B3 Posts: 15,046

A scented rose.

But I'm sure there's plants with more practical or 'medicinal' qualitiesimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Day Lilies (Hemerocallis). They are unfussy and low maintenance, with no need for dead-heading or pruning, and the flowers and roots are edible. They come in a huge variety of flower sizes, shapes and colours - over 70,000 named hybrids! Despite being called ditch weed in the USA, they are also drought tolerant, which they will need to be.

I have never understood why they aren't grown more in the UK, they are the perfect garden plant and our climate is ideal for them.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Hellebore. Just look at them!

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,459

Alan, I'm glad you told me all that.  I've never grown them, but I'll certainly bear them in mind for the border I'm going to make over next year.  I'll bear anything in mind that doesn't need deadheading!  Are they like fuchsia, the whole flower drops before it fades?

• josusa, day lilies are self-cleaning, and if you leave the dead flowers you will still get plenty of flowers to follow. (As the name implies, each flower only lasts one day, but one plant will produce flowers over several weeks).They don't produce a lot of seed pods (at least not for me) so it doesn't sap their strength.

Having said that, you still might want to dead head them for the sake of appearance.

Last edited: 23 July 2017 14:12:38