Forum home Plants

ALPINES

Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Recommendations please for alpines which give some summer colour.

They are for a large trough in full sun with rain protection from the eaves.

SW Scotland

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,993

Flowering now in my alpine area.

Penstemon pinifolius and P.p.Mersea Yellow

Sedum spurium Dragons Blood but lots of other colours too.

Silene repandum.

Erodium variious named forms

Solidago minima

Potentilla x tonguei

Sempervivum for leaf colour.

Scabiosa graminifolia.

Pterocephalus perennis

Gypsophila whose name escapes me.

That enough?

Last edited: 22 July 2017 17:58:09

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Lovely thanks Berghillimage

I hoped I might catch your eye, having seen your pics

SW Scotland

There are also some Summer blubs just beginning. Acis autumnale for one. Tiny delicate white flowers with a pink base to the flowers. There are also Alliums out, but they can be very invasive.

Would have answered earlier but I had to go and look at the garden and then began weeding!

I have had a look at the Acis bulbs......lovely delicate flowers and I can buy them from Avon bulbs for August/September delivery image

SW Scotland

Pity you are not near me, you could have dozens for nothing. They self seed in my Alpine house like crazy. Cannot send them through the post, they have begun to grow now.

Too bad but thanks for the thought. Useful to know that they self seed.

SW Scotland
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,036

There's an alpine nursery called Potterton's that I've been looking at Joyce - mainly for some more Dianthus. They seem to have a huge collection, so might be worth a look. I know there's one soemwhere near Lily PIlly, but they don't do mail order if I remember correctly. 

I've been  admiring the alpine alchemilla on the hills recently, and some of the little saxifrages. They're the most incredible little plants when you think of the environment they live in image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairy, I can give you alpine alchemilla. just let me know It was in the garden when we came here forty nine years ago.....certainly a long lived plant!

I have come across the one one near LP....more to the east if I remember.  I have had plants from Kevock before and shared the order with a friend as their postage is high. They have lots of unusual plants.

Will have a look at Potterton's thanks.

SW Scotland

Can vouch for Robert Potterton's plants and service too.

If you need help on Alpines the Scottish Rock Garden Club site is far easier to use than the AGS one. Sad, but true.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,036

I hadn't used them at all Berghill, but it looked like a cracking nursery. Good to hear your endorsement.

The Scottish RGC does seem to have  a very good reputation - not that I'm biased or anything...image

I may take you up on that Joyce. I've already got my harebells to remind me of the hills - so I could add that to the mix image

Remember to PM your address to me for those seeds too. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....