rock fountain

Hi! I'm a new member here and was eager to find a garden forum since I want to build a fountain in my garden.

I found this link https://www.divesanddollar.com/pond-fountain-ideas/ some weeks ago and try to talk to someone how to build this one in my backyard, but no one can answer.

Can someone please tell me what will I need to build this rock fountain? 

Thanks in advance :)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,605

It's not really a gardening question.
    You need to find an artist who works with stone and hard-landscaping materials.
    It looks beautiful and I'd love one too, but I don't think it'll come cheap.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914

Does the water come out the top? 

I think you might need the shape made first in fibreglass or netting and cement and then the stones 'glued' on. A hose connected to a pump would go through the middle. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • davidomardavidomar Posts: 3
    Pete8 says:

It's not really a gardening question.
    You need to find an artist who works with stone and hard-landscaping materials.
    It looks beautiful and I'd love one too, but I don't think it'll come cheap.

See original post

Ooops sorry! Thought I can ask something relate to the garden's layout here.

Pardon my misunderstanding image

I think so, I'm figuring out to make one by my own, but wonder how I can make it without any pro's help.

• davidomardavidomar Posts: 3
    hogweed says:

Does the water come out the top? 

I think you might need the shape made first in fibreglass or netting and cement and then the stones 'glued' on. A hose connected to a pump would go through the middle. 

See original post

It seems like it does since the water mostly falls from the top.

Nice thought! I would include it to my project plan!

Thanks a looot image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914

David,

It is a gardening question and we get lots of different types of questions on here so don't worry! 

There is nothing to stop you having a go to make something similar. I'm not sure from the photo if the spiral goes straight up or if it goes over to one side. Obviously a straight up spiral is tricky but easier than if it goes to one side, as you would then have the problem of balancing it all and incorporating some sort of support (steel rod through the middle which goes into the ground?). If you wanted to have a go yourself it wouldn't be all that expensive even if you fail - cement, sand, chicken or wire mesh., some cobbles. And time. Have a look on Youtube - I'm sure you will find help there. Good luck and let us see your photos!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,605

Yes indeed, I'm sorry if you felt I was suggesting your post was in any way inappropriate.
    I just felt that you may get better assistance from an art/design type of forum.
    Always feel free to ask just about anything on here

As a thought - the overall shape is quite snake-like. You may be able to find a concrete snake in a garden centre, then attach a hose to the underside and coat it all with a layer of concrete inserting the stones as you go.
    The only alternative I can think of is to build it using mid steel rods to form the basic shape then cover it with concrete adding the stones, with a hose in the middle.

It's a lovely fountain and I wish you every success in building yours - and look forward to the photos

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.