Forum home Plants

Will bamboo grow new leaves

Hi everyone,

I'm gutted that a gardener seems to have destroyed my bamboo. It acted as a great screen from my neighbours and is well established (about 15 years) about 15 feet wide and 10 feet tall. I wanted him to take the weight off the tops, about a foot, and tidy it up slightly. Unfortunately he has used an electric hedge trimmer (!) and taken way too much off. Now it is extremely bare with hardly any leaves and you can see right through it. 

He assures me it will grow back but my understanding is that we will have to wait for new shoots from ground level. 

Does anyone know if the shoots that are left will grow new leaves? 

Thanks in advance, I'm a little upset.

Rachael

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,875

I don't think they grow again from the tops. Don't let him/her loose again.image

Bamboo is best reduced by completely removing some stems and leaving the rest.

If the plant is too tall, it's the wrong plant for the situation.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,277

That was no gardener ... could possibly have been one of the groundsmen who massacred the gardens where I used to work ........ but a gardener............ not in a million years.

Give it a feed of  chicken manure pellets and water them in ... the nitrogen will encourage new growth from the base.  Then when it's tall enough to screen what you want get the chap back and get him to carefully cut out the old stems from the base.  That'll larn him. image

On the plus side, you should get some good bamboo poles ... do you grow runner beans ?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for your help. I've removed all of the old canes today and I'm going to get a good fertiliser to try and encourage good new growth next spring. Looks like I'll have to put up with it for now ? and I'll be looking after it myself in future!