Hedgehog Shelter

I built a hedgehog shelter in the garden ,last night was the 1st time I saw a hedgehog using it. What food could I put in there for it ,thanks 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,568

The hedgehogs who visit our garden like this https://fetch.co.uk/spikes-tasty-semi-moist-hedgehog-food-550g-96939011?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Iym-72Y1QIVRbvtCh2h3gwPEAQYASABEgLnufD_BwE 

we sometimes add some sunflower hearts, chopped peanuts, dried mealworms, dried banana chips ... but not too much as they can be bad for their teeth.

Moist chicken based cat food is also suitable.  Not the sort with jelly

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Oh, and a shallow dish of fresh water every night ... they seem to get quite thirsty with all their snuffling in the undergrowth image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for your reply 

• A tray of milk and bread ala '86 style isn't so fashionable with hedgehogs these days but cat food is. How tastes change!

Seriouly though - if you've got pet dogs or those feline things, make sure they're well protected with Frontline or a similar flea and tick treatment as hedgehogs are completely innocent transporters of both types of nastry parasites.

Ticks in particular can cause dire consequences via Lymes disease. Look it up but don't let it disuade you from the sanctuary. Hedgehogs need all the help they can get! Just keep them distanced and they will appreciate you for it.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Frontline is no longer effective for Dogs, check out Advocate to make sure they are also covered for Lungworm & Ringworm etc, it often comes with the de-worm or de-flea tablet/spot on. Hedgehog fleas are specific so won't transfer to pets. 

Hedgehog food or meat flavoured cat biscuits is perfect, as discussed above. It helps self-clean their teeth image other sweet treats do rot them & can cause calcium bone deficiency. 

Have a look at the hedgehog feeding stations videos, I place mine against a wall or shed with a hedgehog sized gap so cats & foxes can't get in: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY6-1rQb294

Last edited: 20 July 2017 20:24:25

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,779

Try and avoid mealworms (no offence dove!) - the latest thinking is that they do far more harm than good.They appear to be the hedgehog equivalent of crisps or chocolate, they love them but they are no good for them. 

Our hedgehogs have dog food, we've tried cat food, Spikes food, but dog food is the food of choice.You may have to try several things before finding the one they like. Trust me,it's worth it image

Good to mention that  AnniD image  ... ours only get a very few mealworms amongst the rest of their meal.  

And while they love Spikes Moist hedgehog food they leave Spikes Dried alone, hardly even a nibble.  Fussy things image

Last edited: 20 July 2017 20:31:22

Tell me about it Dove! For some reason they are not eating as much as they have been.l was thinking it may be due to the warmer weather,or hopefully my "Hedgehog champion" work is going well and they are getting more food from the neighbours image

• Mark56 says:

Frontline is no longer effective for Dogs, check out Advocate to make sure they are also covered for Lungworm & Ringworm etc, it often comes with the de-worm or de-flea tablet/spot on. Hedgehog fleas are specific so won't transfer to pets. 

Hedgehog food or meat flavoured cat biscuits is perfect, as discussed above. It helps self-clean their teeth image other sweet treats do rot them & can cause calcium bone deficiency. 

Have a look at the hedgehog feeding stations videos, I place mine against a wall or shed with a hedgehog sized gap so cats & foxes can't get in: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY6-1rQb294

Last edited: 20 July 2017 20:24:25

See original post

Thanks for your advice. Will try Advocate.

Fleas seem to be fleas and when pets get them, they seem to target us humans too. Damn peksy ankle-biting critters, them.

The biggest worry is still Lymes disase from ticks and it's incredibly hard to find them in a big hairy dog. Have removed a few from small, short haired dogs with only one exception where a tick's mouth section must have been left inside, causing a minor infection and long-lasting lumpon her belly.

As for my humongously large, hairy dog... there is little chance of finding any, let alone levering them out with a 'tick crowbar'.

Hedgehogs are incredible animals and as said previously, they need a LOT of help  in sanctuaries...but if it's putting pets and family at risk, it's a risk too far. Bless 'em..... hedgehogs are not to blame for the parasitical evils that hitch a ride on their backs (but more likely ears). Pet-free gardens and with the right layout, they could thrive again.

Does anyone know....I have noticed the last few nights that the hedgehogs have been self anointing. Does this mean that they are all youngsters?