Forum home Plants

Rose Campion seeds

nikki 7nikki 7 Posts: 96

Hello everyone

I was given a Lychnis, (rose campion) plant which looked very striking, but the flowers have now gone to seed.  I've collected quite a lot of the seeds and would like to know when to sow them again?  Any info much appreciated.  Thanks

Nikki

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

You can sow them now, put in a cold frame and they will germinate when they feel like it in Spring.

Or you could sow as usual in March.

Sometimes they germinate better after being vernalised, i.e. exposed to the cold of winter before breaking germination.

They are one of those things that crop up where you didn't expect them, like cracks in paving.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

I'm a great believer in sowing fresh seed. I have germination already from seeds I've sowed this month. Fresh seed germinates very quickly in pots outside in the shade.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

I sowed freshly gathered sweet william on 10/7 by 14/7 they were up - I was surprised

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nikki 7nikki 7 Posts: 96

Thanks very much folks, for the replies.  I'm going to sow the seeds now, put them in a cold frame over winter - and keep my fingers crossed for the results.

Nikki

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

I've been weeding and notice there are loads of rose campion seedlings around the parent plants now. Your seed will proably be up in no time.

Good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nikki 7nikki 7 Posts: 96

Thanks Pete.  That sounds really positive.  And thanks again to other replies also.

Nikki