Total newbie needs help

Hey guys. 

i need some advice I am total newbie to gardening and espywildlife gardening but since buying my first house in November I am loving it and definitely found myself having  green finger.

anyway the bit I need advice on is that I really want to build a wildlife pond but I have a few questions.

i plan on putting in the location in the picture I have attached, does that look a ok location?

any tips on what to do with the pond once I have children? Would putting netting over it ok?

I have a cat who unfortunately loves catching little animals even with a bell on him but I don't think he is keen on getting his paws wet so do you think this will be ok

Thanks for the help 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,016

I can't remember ever seeing a garden pond fitted into a corner like that.  Are you thinking of putting the liner right up to the wall and fence?  I think you'd be asking for penetrating damp in the house and the bottom of the fence rotting.  My pond came with the house and on one side it's surrounded by a raised border. I find it a nuisance not to be able to get to that side of the pond without trampling the border.  If I were you I'd site the pond where it will be accessible all round.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,174

You can get the grid mesh that gets used to reinforce concrete.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,715

You could get a a little preformed pond for that corner or just a large pail/half barrel. Plenty of space to put planting round it as long as you are careful what you choose. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,040

I also wouldn't put it that close to the house wall or fence. It's asking for damp trouble.