Forum home Wildlife gardening

Total newbie needs help

Hey guys. 

i need some advice I am total newbie to gardening and espywildlife gardening but since buying my first house in November I am loving it and definitely found myself having  green finger.

anyway the bit I need advice on is that I really want to build a wildlife pond but I have a few questions.

i plan on putting in the location in the picture I have attached, does that look a ok location?

any tips on what to do with the pond once I have children? Would putting netting over it ok?

I have a cat who unfortunately loves catching little animals even with a bell on him but I don't think he is keen on getting his paws wet so do you think this will be ok

Thanks for the help 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I can't remember ever seeing a garden pond fitted into a corner like that.  Are you thinking of putting the liner right up to the wall and fence?  I think you'd be asking for penetrating damp in the house and the bottom of the fence rotting.  My pond came with the house and on one side it's surrounded by a raised border. I find it a nuisance not to be able to get to that side of the pond without trampling the border.  If I were you I'd site the pond where it will be accessible all round.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,460

You can get the grid mesh that gets used to reinforce concrete.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

You could get a a little preformed pond for that corner or just a large pail/half barrel. Plenty of space to put planting round it as long as you are careful what you choose. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116

I also wouldn't put it that close to the house wall or fence. It's asking for damp trouble.