Forum home Problem solving

Garden pest

I wondered if anyone could help. I walked onto the lawn the other day wearing sandals and within a few minutes my feet were covered in tiny flea like bugs. On closer look the bugs could jump. Any ideas what they could be and how to get rid of them. There seems to be hundreds of them! The children are not able to play out in the back garden at the moment. Many thanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,839

Springtails possibly - harmless.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508

I've noticed for the last couple of weeks that every time I pass a huge rhodo in my garden there's a clicking sound. I had a look and there are masses of small bright green cricket-like things on there jumping around - masses of them. No idea what they are.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Pete - possibly froghoppers?

That looks like it Lb.
    The only plant they seem to be on is the rhodo, every time I pass it there's the sound of hundreds of tiny mouse-traps going off.
    I'm guessing/hoping there not there to devastate my rhododendron...

Their larvae are the little creatures that produce cuckoo spit on plants and they are sap suckers. I'm not certain about the frog hopper adult.

There is another similar type of creature called a leaf hopper which can cause some damage.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368

the children are not allowed to play out because of a few insects? Don't pass on your fear of insects to the kids, there's a world of wildlife out there, get them interested in it.

Thanks Lb - I can't see any damage, but took a photo - looks like leaf hoppers

Pete, I think you've nailed it. I have to warn you that these can cause lots of damage to Rhododendron buds so keep a sharp eye out for any problems.

Its quite a beautiful creature despite being a possible pest. Great photo of one! image

Actually, you nailed it Lb :) Thanks
    I just took the photo
    I'll leave them be unless I see a lot of damage - it's a huge shrub about 5m x 4m
    It's quite amusing seeing so many thing leaping all over it as I pass - that view may change if I see next year's buds disappearing tho...