Forum home Plants

Roadside plants ID

TerrysWorldTerrysWorld South MonmouthshirePosts: 135

Most likely been asked before,

What are the ID of these two White and Pink flowered plants.

Also what are the Yellow and White plants seen also alongside with the Pink plant.

imageimage

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

No sure of top photo. Second photo could be Centranthus Rubra, Red Valerian.

• TerrysWorldTerrysWorld South MonmouthshirePosts: 135

Thanks,

Although to me this lower plant is more pinkish.

I have seen today while driving, there are also a Red and a Yellow plants of similarities, would they all be of the same strain of family.

There is another Centranthus Ruber 'Pretty Betsy' that is more red and Centranthus Ruber 'Albus' which is white/cream colour. Not sure of the top photo, it's either too close or out of focus.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Could the top one be meadow sweet?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • TerrysWorldTerrysWorld South MonmouthshirePosts: 135

Reading about the Centranthus Ruber as colourful as they seem to have in a cottage type garden, they are invasive with their seeds blown in the wind etc.

Are they that bad to control or just using normal control sufficient. 

Everyone has a different opinion on plants that are either termed vigorous or even thug. Centranthus can be controlled in two ways. Plant in not so ideal conditions, they don't grow as vigourously. Grow in partial shade or in more heavier soils. But I find, their roots are not very deep, so if you don't like it, just pull them out. 

• RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 333

the first pic looks a bit like lady's mantle. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707

Photo of 1st plant is over-exposed and blurred, making it difficult to ID. Also it's not clear whether the foliage in the foreground belongs with the flowers behind.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299

Tecnically, Valerian comes in red and white, but you do usually see it as pink.  Again, not sure of top photo.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,319

my first thought on photo one was some sort of crambe.

Devon.