Forum home Wildlife gardening

Flying Ant Day

Flying Ant "Day" happens every year..... Today's the first in my garden this year.   I noticed that all newspapers have articles about them in July and many have suggestions about how to get rid of them.  Why?    Most articles also have this blurb:

"However, keep in mind when killing flying ants that they are actually good for outdoor environments. They aerate soil, help to cycle nutrients, improve garden fertility and control pests.

Flying ants also provide a vital food resource for many species of birds, particularly swifts and gulls." 

So why do they start with "how to kill them?"  I have lots of ant nests in my lawn.   I have no ants in my house.  And it's not that I'm that clean.    

Remember your flying ants will be gone in a day, and the rest of the workers will go back underground, aerating your soil etc.  

Enjoy the spectacle. 

Last edited: 17 July 2017 17:16:47

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I like to watch the birds catching them in mid-air. 

Far too much emphasis on killing things in the press, the GCs and this forum. 

It's all part of life, observe, wake up, it's not all about us, we're just one species among millions

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,554

I've noticed a lot of articles on you tube from USA that tell you how to kill everything, one I was reading said pour vinegar on your garden, maybe that's not a generalisation, just the ones I was reading.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,340

Is Flying Ant Day a new phenomenon?.  Id never heard of it until the last few days reading on the Forum.

I just assumed it was a natural occurrence which most of us were aware of - will the next thing be a Flying Bird Day I wonder?

God preserve us from The Mediaimage

• B3B3 Posts: 14,965

There's a day for everything that anybody wants to sell  - chocolate coated ants anyone?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,446

I HAVE NOTICEDTHAT THERE ARE SEVERAL FLYING ANT DAYS EACH SUMMER. 

I FIRST REALISE THAT THE DAY HAS COME WHEN I SEE SEAGULLS CIRCLING HIGH OVERHEAD, WHEELING AND TURNING AND FOLLOWING THE COURSE OF THE RIVER.  THEY MOVE SLOWLY ALONG UNTIL THEY DISAPPEAR FROM VIEW. THE NEXT TIME THAT THE FLYING ANTS ARE ABOUT, THERE ARE THE SEAGULLS AGAIN.

WHAT I WONDER IS THIS. DO THESE SEAGULLS ONLY LIVE ON FLYING ANTS AND HAVE A PERIPATETIC LIFESTYLE BASED ON THE SWARMS? OR DO THEY HAVE OTHER THINGS TO EAT AND JUST TURN UP WHEN THE ANTS ARE ON THE WING? IF THE LATTER, HOW DO THEY KNOW WHERE THE ANTS WILL BE?

OUR GREEN WOODPECKER IS A VERY HAPPY CHAP THIS EVENING.image

Last edited: 17 July 2017 18:41:11

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Our flying ant day was yesterday. Quite spectacular I must say. All over in a flash though.

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Flying ant day was last Monday up in Hull and strangely enough today in Coventry ! ?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,055

Never seen 'em.  Perhaps we don't get them up here. image

Not sure why they make such a fuss about these things though. The 'meedja' has a lot to answer for. Is it to divert everyone away from all the real s**t that's going on....

Perhaps they'll have 'waddling penguin day' as well Philippa  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,340

I like the "waddling Penguin idea FGimage

Yesterday was "Flying Bread Day" here - gulls go and get their bread, have a senior moment and drop it in my gardenimage

My chicken rushes over and then we have a major argument - "Give it to me"..,,"No, give it to me " - she usually winsimage