Forum home Plants

September Open Garden Help!

Hi everyone, I recently bought my own house (in April) and am finally enjoying having my own small garden.  I have a small ish backyard which has bamboo, two small clematis plants, fuschias, a hanging basket and pots with petunias in.

I've just found out that in September my garden is going to be part of the open gardens scheme for my village.  I'm really excited about this and am really keen to 'hold my own' against the more established gardens.  Does anyone have any suggestions of plants I can introduce now in containers that will look lovely in early September and replace my summer flowers which (I presume) will be dead by then or, at least, past their best!

Thanks in advance!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,221

YOU DON'T SAY WHERE YOU ARE, ELIZABETH, OR WHETHER THE OPEN GARDEN SCHEME IS AT THE BEGINNING OR END OF SEPTEMBER.

IF YOU LIVE IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF PUTTING ON A COLOURFUL SHOW IN SEPTEMBER THAN IF YOU LIVE IN SHETLAND.

HERE IN DEEPEST DERBYSHIRE, NIGHTS IN SEPTEMBER ARE GETTING COOL AND FLOWERS ARE BEGINNING TO THINK ABOUT PACKING UP. WE ARE MORE INTO FRUIT TREE TIME. ANY CHANCE OF INVESTING IN A POT GROWN MINIATURE APPLE TREE OR TWO?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi, I'm in Yorkshire and the it's the 9th and 10th of September. 

• Jill223Jill223 Posts: 8

I 'm in Lancashire and my pots of nerines flower in September  giving a splash of colour. Good luck! Jill

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,221

MY DIARY ENTRY FOR THE TENTH OF SEPTEMBER LAST YEAR SAYS THAT I PICKED THE VICTORIA PLUMS FROM OUR TREE. MAYBE A LOCAL GARDEN CENTRE MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH IMMATURE FRUITS ON IT NOW.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868

my perennial sunflowers are good in September and the little Cyclamen hederifolium. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

A lot of sedums such as Autumn joy and Mr Goodbud look good in September. Crysanthemums and dahlias should still be going strong. Verbena bonariensis will still be flowering.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Have a few pots of heucheras. Lots of leaf colour all year from different varieties.

SW Scotland
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Echinaceas/rudbeckias and any late summer flowerers should still be going strong. image annuals too 

Last edited: 17 July 2017 11:32:26

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money to impress visitors for a day. It's your garden, grow what pleases you.  Unless, that is, you're a lot more competitive than me!