Bird Murder

Just come across a young Great Tit which drowned in a bucket of water.

I'd left a black 2 gallon bucket in a tucked away corner in the garden.  We had some welcome rain over a couple of days but I'd completely forgotten the bucket. Just a few inches in the bottom but obviously enough to entice.

Despite ponds and bird baths and saucers of water the GTit presumably decided to try to get a drink from the bucket, fell in and couldn't get out again.

I was really Tee'd off with myself as it could have easily been avoided..

Just a word of warning to others - any containers ( other than the "official" ones ) left around the garden which will hold water are not to be recommended.

I'll certainly be more careful in futureimage 

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

If you prop a stick in the bucket / water butt etc than birds and small mammals can climb out. Obviously this was just an unfortunate accident but for containers you want to keep full of water it works well.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,098

Onopordum - yes I agree - anything in a water container for people to climb in/out safely is the way to go.  This was not an intentional water container - just me not being observant sad to say.

That was the reason I posted Wolf - just a stupid error on my part but so easily done and I didn't think I would be the only one to forget the odd bucket laying around.. Weeks of dry weather and so it doesn't matter - couple of days of rain and hey presto, a death trap. Thanks anywayimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,111

I have found a dead mouse in the watering can, and a squirrel in the dustbin full of comfrey feed.  Hubby thinks that watering cans should be equipped with small ladders on the inside. image

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.

You could well be right wolf - at present the only noticeable absence in my garden is the Sparrowhawk - he/she would normally have been in by now.

Depends where you are of course - 15 years ago and only 20 miles or so from where I now live, I had Tree creepers and Flycatchers.  Slightly different environment but never see them here.  Cuckoos are a faint memory - shame.

I'll employ you as part of my defence team DHR.