Forum home Plants

Yucca problem

Hello everybody

So about three of years ago my now 12 year old yucca elephantipes sprouted a new shoot (left) and this started to grow quite rapidly, unfortunately at the same time the original shoot (right) was also growing rapidly but very thin so now it has ended up with a thin week spot in it's trunk which has caused it to be come top heavy and lean/bend.

is there anything I can do to correct this or will it need to be cut down? and if the latter how do I go about this?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Marcus

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

If you cut it below the weak point, it will almost certainly produce a bud on the bare trunk which will sprout more leaves after a few weeks.  If you cut the removed stem into pieces about 15-20cm long, leave for a couple of days for the ends to callous over, you may be able to grow new plnats by potting them into a 50/50 mixture of grit and compost.  If you do that make sure you plant the sections the right way up.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi BobTheGardener

Thanks for your reply, and advice

I thought that may be the case but was hoping there would be some way to "fatten it up" so to speak 

So would you suggest cutting just before the bend like marked in the picture below or a bit lower down? oh and how clean does the cut need to be would a saw or loppers be okay to use or would I need a really clean cut with a stanley knife or something similar 

Thank you very much for your help

Marcus

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Yes, that's where I would cut it.  Secateurs or loppers will be fine.  Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to make a stem thicken.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Fantastic, thank you very much for your help