Forum home Plants

Mystery purple plant appeared in garden

Betty40Betty40 Posts: 3

This plant appeared in my grandmas garden not long back. She is very knowledgable on plants but never seen this beforw. Is quite a low plant, no more than 12 inches. Its purple bell like flowers come and go within the same day and has raised black dots on the large leafs like pimples. 

Any ideas on the type of plant and any information about it would be appreciated as its a complete mystery to her with never seeing it before. 

Im trying to add a photo but i dont think it has worked. 

Last edited: 15 July 2017 22:32:28

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270

If the photo won't upload try reducing it's size. That usually works image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• mollismollis Posts: 150

A shot in the dark. Nicandra?

• Betty40Betty40 Posts: 3

imageFinally managed to upload these photos, does anyone have any idea? imageimage

• Betty40Betty40 Posts: 3

mollis - Thank you so much for solving this mystery for my Grandma, especially without seeing a photo.

My grandma says

"Yes, it is Nicandra, thank you so much. I don't know how you managed to identify this unusual plant. You must have a great knowledge of gardening."

Do you by any chance know if this is annual or perennial or bi-annual? kind regards

• mollismollis Posts: 150

Hi betty

It's an annual but does self seed all over the place.

I made the mistake of composting the plants and seed heads years ago and they appeared for years in the garden.

Having said that they are nice plants and easily recognisable to weed out.