Forum home Plants

Plant identification

Can anyone name this plant - it is in our wild flower area, but I am not sure if it is "WILD"?imageThe stem is fairly tall (over 12 inches) but quite slim. (It is the deep red flower.) Thank you.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Annual cornflower.

Similar colour to one called black ball.

Last edited: 15 July 2017 20:43:49

• Thanks fidgetbones - I didn't realize that cornflower came in other colours apart from cornflower blue ...... it does look almost black - very dark indeed, but it certainly stands out from the usual orange, white and blue of the majority of the flowers in the wild patch.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Pink, white, light blue, dark blue , purple.... plenty to choose from. They make good dried flowers hung upside down in a cool dark place ( or garage  in my case)

• That's interesting to know - I don't dry flowers but my mum was a great fan of drying flowers and honesty pennies.  That is until she found plastic flowers in the shops .......least said the better! 

Do they keep their colour when dried?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Just in general, from my experience, the plants do keep their colours, but many turn a more pastel shade. Apparently, if it's been stored somewhere dark, the colours are less muted. I used to dry a lot of flowers, leaves and seedheads, and in my experience, it makes no difference. For large shapes, turn them upside-down, but small thinner shapes can even be dried upright. 

Last edited: 16 July 2017 10:26:00