Forum home Plants

Name this plant?

Hi All, 

My first post here and it is to ask a question. I have asked all my gardening friends and family and no-one so far know what this vigorous climber is... Any help would be much appreciated.

imageimageimage

It is a lot of plant for that one flower at the moment! image

Last edited: 15 July 2017 20:17:12

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875

any chance of a photo image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,473

Its a jasmine of some sort, possibly J. stephanense

• fidgetbones says:

Its a jasmine of some sort, possibly J. stephanense

See original post

Thanks Fidget - will it ever be more.... interesting? image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,473

Is it a new plant? They can take a year or two to settle down, but in a sunny position it should flower its socks off.

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/jasmine-stephanense

If it is all leaf and few flowers, maybe it is getting too much nitrogen and not enough potash. Try using tomato food as feed, or starving it a bit.

Last edited: 15 July 2017 20:34:26

• We bought the house over a year ago. This 'mass of green stuff' was just on the floor so this spring we put some garden wire trellis up and tied it to it with string. It is a very fast grower but most of its bulk was there on the floor when we moved, but so far that flower is all its done 

Also I have fed it with Tomorite a few times

Last edited: 15 July 2017 20:39:47

It flowers on the previous summers wood, so if you trim it, do it lightly after flowering. If you hack it back hard because it is out of control, you will lose most of the following seasons flowers.  I only cut my Jasmine (officinale) lightly to control it.  Stephanense is a bit more tender than officinale  and will only really flower well in a sunny place which ripens the wood for the following years flowers.

• Very interesting... I would say it get 5-7 hours sun a day... maybe a bit more... 

Perhaps it will do better next year now that it was lifted up this year? 

image Hopefully.

Patience is needed for gardening.