Forum home Plants

Two shrubs need a name please

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,828

Wonky has asked me to post these photos ... she rescued these a few months ago ... they were dead sticks ... she cut them back, potted them up and now look at them!!! 

But she doesn't know what they are and I'm not brilliant at shrubs so it's up to you lot to name them... I'm posting them for her to give her carpal tunnel a rest

imageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,051

berberis , of sorts, and maybe myrtle?

Both guesses to be honest.

Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,678

Whats the matter, wolfie? Didn't your freebie tickets to Wimbledon come through?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,699

The top photo is a wild guess, it looks like a type of Holly. Possibly Ilex Aquifolium, and the second photo looks like an Abelia. Possibly Grandifolia or Schumannii.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,070

Hilarious I'm sure. Don't give up the day job....

Could No 1 be one of the Osmanthus or an Olearia  Dove? 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,828

I've only seen the photos Fairy ... I did wonder about Osmanthus, but as I said,   I'm not great on shrubs image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,429

Thanks Dove for posting image thank you everyone for your suggestions, I've made a note of them and am going to look them up in the RHS book and see if I can pin down a name other than Horatio or Elizabeth imageimage