Forum home Plants

I think these are mint

flowerydelflowerydel Posts: 16

Can anyone confirm what these are, pleaseimage?  They both smell like washing up liimageimagequid, with the vibarnt green having mint looking leaves, but no smell of mint.   The varigated is tinged yellow, which I wondered might be lemon balm.  Googling does not make me certain.

I moved them last year into a holding bed, til I was ready to plant permanently, they have grown vigorously in a very short time.  No flowers as yet.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,314

I'd say the NON variegated one is lemon balm, the other, some sort of mint. That makes them both weeds in my garden.image

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,250

I agree with Hosta ... the green one is Lemon balm ... the variegated one looks like a mint, but which sort of mint I can't say from here ... there is a variegated Pineapple Mint that looks like that ... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118

I'd agree with Dove that it could be pineapple mint. I grew it many years ago and it didn't seem to have much scent to the leaves, which I put down to our cooler climate here. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Lemon Balm is, in my opinion, a really awful weed. It smells awful, spreads prodigiously and has no flowers to speak of. I'd get rid of it before i'ts too late.

We'll have to agree to disagree there Onopordum -  I love the scent of it, bees love the flowers and steeping the leaves in boiling water makes a relaxing drink which can help with sleeplessness ... great with a spoonful of honey image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

Dove, I'm with you there.  Never heard of it as a sleeping draught, I'll give it a try.

• flowerydelflowerydel Posts: 16

Thanks everyone,  I did search and did sort of decide the green one may be Lemon Balm, and looked for a variegated version as the leaves and smell are so similar but could not find a variegated lemon balm. I do like the smell, and the leaves are quite pretty on the plain one, but it is rampant, so it does make me wonder if I will keep it. I have yet to see flowers.  The varigated one looks like it has been in an arguement and lost.  Not particilarly pleasing to look at. 

I will investigate pineapple mint.  and apple mint further, but I seem to rememer having apple mint  years ago and it had a different smell to this one.

Thanks again, for your time, much appreciated.

There is a variegated lemon balm, Melissa officinalis 'Aurea' .... but that isn't it ... I'm 99.9% certain it's Pineapple mint.  

The variegations are quite 'yellow' Phillippa ... I'm not keen on it but am fond of the ordinary one ..when I was a child the crumbly old red brick wall around Ma's rose garden was full of it image