Forum home The potting shed

What do you hate most about gardening?

I have been battling the brambles that grow over from next door & feeling very fed up,not to mention cut to pieces by the blasted things. I wondered what problems everyone else has to contend with & what they hate doing most.

In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Brambles, tree seedlings, especially holly ones.

SW Scotland
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

that tiny purple leafed clover with the yellow flowers.  ggrrrr image

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,203

Any and every weed that grows happily while my treasures are currently struggling with a  year long drought.   We've had about 4" of rain since the new year and it's not enough even for established plants.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Slugs / snails ? ?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,716

I hate edging the lawn - can't find a tool that doesn't involve bending, either to trim or pick up the bits. 

I only edge the front bits as the back has a 'less formal' style.

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,373

Neighbours who are shocked and offended when deciduous trees drop their leaves.

Secateurs which run off and hide at the first opportunity ( closely followed by hand trowels).

Things which grow too quickly for me to keep up with - and snigger whilst they are doing it.

Other than that - I love gardeningimageimage

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

Bindweed slowly strangling some of my perennials ; have a large border with a hedge full of it behind , so can't spray !

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Wellies. They don't bother me so much as the Achilles tendon on my left heel.

Ow!image

• Suz3Suz3 Posts: 105

Weeds!

Big ones, small ones, those that pop up when your back is turned and generally every genre of weed known to primeval man!

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,441

What I hate is how my garden always looks scruffy and unkempt compared with all my neighbours', when they don't appear to put in any more time and effort than I do.