Forum home Plants

Mysterious plant

imageimage

could anyone  tell me what this plant is , it popped up in my container . 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Looks like Cleome , grown as an annual .

• It does a little. The flower heads unfold like fern. The stems are spiky . I  didn't plant it. 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Phacelia tanacetifolia.  Growing it myself this year, great plant for the pollinators, the bees love it ?.

• I've googled Phacelia tanacetifolia. That's it. Thank you. The bees do love it. 

• We have it too in our wild flower area and the bees go mad for it.  The first year I sowed the seeds and although we have dug, forked and raked the area each spring Phacelia is a plant you have for life - although a nice one I admit.image

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Forgot all about Phacelia ; a very nice 'weed' to have image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Could anyone identify this surprise spiky plant? imageI'm hoping it may be quite exotic but the red stem is whispering 'weed'!

• Hi Amanda, I can't help you with identifying this plant, but I would suggest that you start a new topic/link asking for plant identification, rather than tagging onto this link..  There are many very  knowledgeable gardeners on this site, and I am sure at least one of them will come up with a name for your mystery plant.

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,310

I believe it is spurge, otherwise known as euphorbia. I love most plants but I hate this! Be careful when handling it as the stem contains a milky substance that I find an irritant. It is one of three plants I won't have in my garden but it arrives, unbidden, every year.

Maybe wait for a spurge lover before binning it............

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett