Forum home Plants

advice on various plants

susananwmssusananwms Posts: 213

Am new to gardening and have only just got a lawn after many problems last year. Been planting lots of things in the hope that if a lot die at least some will survive. I bought a tiny blueberry and a rasberry plant and planted them on into large pots. Both plants flourished but only the rasberry  produced fruit this summer. I need to know the best time to transfer them to garden and how to prune. I also planted clematis, passion flower, honeysuckle and jasmine along a very long fence (quite far apart) but I did not have a border so grass keeps growing up around them. If I remove grass and lay bark chips around plants would that also help to shade roots from sun.  Sorry if these questions seem stupid but I am new at this and the more I use the internet for info the more confused I get

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Seconded !!image

• Rasberries are pretty easy to maintain in pots or borders. 

Blueberries are a bit more demanding and require acidic (ericaceous) soil or compost. Watering them with rain water i.e. collected in a water butt can make a big difference to their health. I wouldn't prune them for at least the first couple of years, especially if transplanting into the soil. When transplanting, make sure you add plenty of ericaceous compost! And don't expect fruits for a couple more years unless you're really lucky.

Covering the grass with a decent membrane (not plastic sheeting) and covering with bark chippings will stop most grass growing through but if it's couch grass, it will punch through a membrane very quickly. Without a membrane most types of grass will simply be 'inconvenienced' and eventually find a way through.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142
    Paul B3 says:

Seconded !!image

See original post

Present company excepted of course ... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• susananwmssusananwms Posts: 213

Hi Philippa

Thanks for your advice, I have spent hours today trying to dig up the turf around plants. I have done 3 so far and replaced turf with good compost and bark chips, hope this will be ok for now have another 6 to do and then think about creating permanent border.  Appreciate info about rasberry plant cus can see what branches have produced fruit so can cut back now.  Videos I have watched time and time again and all it does is confuse me more.  Do you think bark chips will do enough to protect clematis roots from sun for now or can I cover earth with stone or something.  I have not a clue what plants can be planted in front to shade roots and even if I did am not competent enough to do that yet

• susananwmssusananwms Posts: 213

Hi Paul thanks for that advice, I was advised about the special soil for blueberry but was not told about using rain water instead of tap water so thanks for that.  I will now look for and buy membrane to go beneath the bark chips that i have got. I  am so glad you mentioned about not pruning blueberry bush for a few years as I would have pruned it right back thinking that it would have been better next year.

• susananwms says:

Hi Paul thanks for that advice, I was advised about the special soil for blueberry but was not told about using rain water instead of tap water so thanks for that.  I will now look for and buy membrane to go beneath the bark chips that i have got. I  am so glad you mentioned about not pruning blueberry bush for a few years as I would have pruned it right back thinking that it would have been better next year.

See original post

I'm often mistaken as being a Paul. Must look like and sound like a Paul for some reason image

If you have lots of nearby cats or a fox population, buy a decent heavy-duty woven membrane and plenty of pegs/ ground hooks to keep it nailed down. Cats will pull up cheap membranes with their claws when burying their oh-so-delightful presents (poo) and foxes will anhiliate it if they smell something of interest underneath. Trust me on this!!

If neither critters are a problem, it's still worth buying a woven membrane and pegging it down VERY well to supress weeds, bulbs and many plants that aren't visibly present now but will lift or punch through fabric alternatives like they don't exist. 

Last edited: 14 July 2017 20:33:47