Forum home Plants

Plant identification

mary389mary389 Posts: 8

Hi

Please can anyone identify this plant, which may be a weed.  They are large leaves, about the size of my hand growing in clumps. ( the smaller leaves in foreground are primulas) I think they were in the new top soil in my new raised beds.  No sign of any flowers.

Mary

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

Alliaria petiolata, Jack by the Hedge

Food plant for the larvae of Orange Tip butterflies

• mary389mary389 Posts: 8

Just been and had a sniff, I think you have got it.  Thank you.  I think I'll pull most out but leave a couple of plants.  Didn't want to dig any out until I knew what it was.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

• I'm not condoning the sampling of questionable plants but I sometimes have a quick nibble to differentiate species. Not suggesting you follow suit!!!

Alliaria petiolata is also known as garlic mustard and has a very garlicky taste with soft undertones of mustard (sort of). It makes a superb salad leaf/ garnish. It is usually a Spring plant and has (mostly) finished its business by this time of year; dead leaves, horiontal seed pods standing perpendicuar to the upright stems.

On the allotment there is analomst identical-looking plant hat is incredbly close in appearane toa a seeyoung dling garlic mustard but evades identificationas as it tastes bitter beyond belief.