Forum home Plants

Moving a silver birch

Good afternoon,

In addition to my other thread on moving Fatsia Japonica I also want to move a small Silver Birch that I have growing in my garden and put it in a large pot (large Bonsai style).

Last year I attempted to move another small silver birch (though lager than this one) into a new spot in the garden and it died pretty quickly.  I knew it was the wrong time of year but I was impatient and I also probably didn't water it as much as I should have.  I will avoid those mistakes, but is there anything else I can do to ensure it survives?

Thanks

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027

IMO, that tree would need a pot about 5 - 6 foot in diameter to do well.

I would not do it.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

I agree .... if you do't want that that tree there get rid of it.

If you want a bonsai-style birch in a pot start with something smaller.

I don't think  you can do it with that tree.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I agree with the other replies a silver birch would not make a decent bonsai it likes to spread its roots

and do its own thing.  from your photo it looks a nice specimen, if you do not like it where it is I would

consider moving it in Autumn. I have one major specimen in my front garden as a focal point and

it looks great although its a pretty fast grower so needs attention every Autumn..

• Thanks for the advice, this one seems to have been pretty stunted in growth so far, I've had it a few years and unlike the other one which seemed to grow very quickly, this one has barely changed.  Yet seems to look healthy.

But I take on board what you say about not potting it, I may be moving house, hence the reason I was going to move it.  I might still do, but then plant it in the ground instead.  The new place is a gravel garden but there must be soil underneath that I can get to....

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

It looks as though it has lost the growing tip. Possibly why it looks not to have grown much.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thanks for the advice everyone.  I agree, I think this tree has lost it's growing tip which is why it doesn't seem to grow much if at all so I might try my luck, but I could even plant it in the ground as a small focal point.  I think the latest I can leave moving it is end of August/early September so not ideal but maybe not so bad.

Lovely photos Doghouse Riley!

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,314

Silver birches are nice trees and very good for wildlife. Try to keep it either where it is now or move in winter. I don't think it matters if it has lost its growing point, it will just grow bushier. I like the rustling sound silver birches  make in the wind.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • On the same subject, I have 3 great silver birch at the bottom of my garden, terrific to hide the house behind. We are moving and wondered if it was at all practical to move them to perform the same task in the new place. My gardener says he could do it and transport them. Is it realistic?? 

Last edited: 13 August 2017 17:10:14