Forum home Fruit & veg

I Need Help.... QUICK!!!!!

I have a 2 1/2yr old dwarf tangelo tree that is in a wood container in my yard. It has been growing, slowly, but doing fine. I live in SoCal. It's normally HOT.

Three weeks ago I went on vacation. While I was gone the temps were upwards of 105°. My auto watering system was somehow knocked out of my tree. When I got home my poor tree was brown, all the leaves were burnt brown, not one green leaf. 

This little tree means a lot to me. What can I do to save her? Please help.  image

Last edited: 12 July 2017 23:57:43

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Apply water.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053

No wonder it was poorly if it was 105 degrees. Water boils at 100!!

Devon.
  • StephiemeStephieme Posts: 7

I did immediately. Does it have a chance? Is there anything I can add to the water or soil that can help? Should I repot. I don't know what to do. This is my first and only citrus tree. I have normally grow cactus. It doesn't require much. This tangelo tree has got me stumped.

I live in Riverside, CA. Home of The Parent Naval Orange Tree, you'd think I could a little tree myself. 

Last edited: 13 July 2017 01:00:21

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,169

On the Celsius scale water boils at 100° but on the Fahrenheit scale it boils at 212° Hosta and as this poster is in the US I suspect the Fahrenheit scale is being used.

Stephie, just keep the tree well watered.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053

Fahrenheit? , gosh, how very 19th Century. image

Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,697

If you keep the roots alive with steady watering, the loss of leaves in one season is not necessarily fatal. You'll just have to keep your fingers crossed and be patient - but there is hope 

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Stephieme, my Daughter lives in Sunnyvale and grows her own fruit trees, I can still taste the fresh Apricots from her tree and yes they work in Fahrenheit measure. Put the pot in a more shaded place keep it well watered and feed the pot every few weeks as it has no leaves to make it own sugars. With luck it will start to bud again it will take time and you may need to prune off any truly dead branches but  it should bud again. I saw fruit trees growing in the Middle east in conditions that were worse than California they alway came to fruit in the end. One thing they did out there was to pile rocks around the base of the tree, the cool night air condensed into water which trickled down to the roots it also kept the roots cool during the heat of the day 111F in the shade many days on end. They had thousands of years to learn how it is done California a few hundred so hope yet.

Frank.

TThank you so much to all that helped. It's still touchy but I have my fingers crossed.image

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,077

Try spraying the branches with dilute liquid seaweed, it may stimulate new bud break. A drench on the roots may help as well, as keeping it well watered. If you are feeling brave try scraping a little bark off some of the branch tips, if it is green underneath then "IT'S ALIVE". If pale or brown then that tip is dead. Work carefully down & see if you can find green lower down, do not make the scrapes too big to avoid damage.

Fingers & Toes crossed

AB Still learning