Forum home Plants

Rose questions (not deep enough and taking cuttings)

Xyz123Xyz123 Posts: 53

Hi, I recently spend about £20 on a thorn less rose from David Austin . It was planted in April and is growing quote well with flowers.  However two things if someone can help. 

1. Due to the space where it was going there was only a certain depth I could go to. There was some concrete stopping me from going down (concrete was only in a very small section so roots can still grow sideways). I wish it was different but there is nothing I can do re the space where it is.. Anyway so the graft joint is just about level with soil while it should be under the soil. So on one corner I have an extra stem growing which seems to be different than rest of the plant . I don't know the name of this symptom (it was in one of the gardenersworld programmes but I can't find it). So does this stem harm the plant? Should  I keep cutting it? 

2. I want to take some cuttings from this rose. It is apparently recommended to do this in September. If so, can I leave the cuttings outside all winter or they need to be kept indoors? Can I take cuttings now or better to wait? 

Many thanks for reading this long post... 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Don't need to do anything with the growth from the bottom yet as it may still be from the same rose, but you really need to plant the bud union below soil level, as you sound like you know already, this will increase the chance of suckering and also root rock when the rose gets larger and heavier. If the growth happens to not belong to the rose, just cut it right down and strip it off at the base.

For cuttings, it is a good time now, but you can do this other time as well. Very similar to many other cuttings. Find strong branches that have flowered and are not green and floppy. Cut at an angle just as it splits with another branch. Then cut the top section flat so you know which way up to plant. Cut at lengths or around 15-20cms. Dip the slanted side with some rooting hormone and push them quite deeply into potting compost. If you are doing more than one, then space them to around 10-15cm apart. Water them up and cover loosely with a clear plastic bag. You can put some makeshift sticks to hold up the bag so it doesn't drop onto the branches and leave in a cool area with indirect sunlight. Water if the soil dries. When new foliage starts to grow, which hopefully shows in around 8-10 weeks, you can remove the bag cover and place in a protective place like a green house or cold frame, to carry on with the same nurturing. Eventually, plants can be planted into the outside soil when frost has passed in spring time.