Forum home Problem solving

Dogs safety

Hi i bought e g complete 4 in 1 and have read all the instructions but no mention if its safe for my dog as she spends most of her day in the garden can anyone help 

Posts

  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,143

    NOT SURE IF IT IS 4 IN 1 LAWN FOOD OR WEEDKILLER OR WHAT BUT HERE IS THE OFFICIAL TOXICITY REPORT PUBLISHED BY THE MANUFACTURER.

    MAKE OF IT WHAT YOU WILL.

    https://www.lovethegarden.com/file/45371/download?token=UEACpqPb

    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • TAMBHOYTAMBHOY Posts: 2

    Thanks but still no details in there to let me know if i can let my dog into garden but thank you for your time and help

  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,143

    I THOUGHT THE REPETITION OF THE WORDS ACUTE TOXICITY MIGHT SWING IT FOR YOU.

    BUT HOW ABOUT THIS SITE, LIVE CHAT LINE INCLUDED?

    https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/weed-control

    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,597

    It does say to keep children and pets off until completely dry - assuming that you have rain or water it in as required.

    If your dog is left unsupervised with access to your lawn and no-one to re-act quickly if it has an adverse reaction I would err on the side of caution and keep it in for a few days.

    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,542

    I've read 'somewhere' that the reason to keep pets off is because the product contains ferrous sulphate. If wet, it gets on the paws and when they come inside, some floors surfaces can become permanently stained.
    I don't think it's actually harmful to dogs.
    I do use it occasionally and I have a grass eating dog - she's fine

    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Just revising

    Last edited: 11 July 2017 20:02:50

  • I'm rather wary of using chemicals in the garden as my dog spends a lot of time laying on the lawn and eating grass.

    Personally, I wouldn't use feed and weed on my lawn because of a paranoia about the dawg suffering ill-effects. Evergreen is a mixture of two selective weedkillers (MCPA -2-ethylhexyl and Mecoprop-p), both of which are somewhat toxic through ingestion, skin absorbtion and inhalation. They are extremely toxic to aquatic creatures.

    Iron sulphate (moss killer and initial grass greener-upperer) is slightly poisonous too and rather irritant to skin and eyes. 

    Superphosphates (the grass fertilizer) is severely damaging to eyes.

    Make up your own mind on the info in this thread. All I'd recommend if you decide to go ahead is keep the dog off the lawn for a few days, water the product in thoroughly to get it activated and into the soil and plant tissue before letting doggie back on.

  • CFCCFC Posts: 71

    I live with a lawn that's not the best, because mr footlicker (not his real name) might ingest something.and I just don't want to take any risks.

  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

    My thoughts exactly CFC. Why risk it?

Sign In or Register to comment.