Forum home Plants

Tree rose

AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

good afternoon 

i have a tree rose rose that I bought in February this year. It has flowered really well up until about a month ago. 

About two weeks ago I noticed that there were some rose leaves on the floor around the rose. Couldn't see any pests on the rose or any black spot. I sprayed it with rose clear ultra and cleared up the fallen leaves just in case. 

Today I have noticed more fallen leaves and the tree looks quite dull when compared to my other rose tree. 

About 5 years ago I bought two tree roses one of which is doing really well and the other died due to been attacked by cabbage White while I was away on holiday 3 years ago. So I've not had much look with these style roses so far. 

I really would like to save this rose. 

Any ideas or tips? 

Thanks for taking the time to read. 

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

imageimage

I have added two photos but not sure if photos are working yet on this site. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197

Hi Giddy image  Sadly the photos aren't uploading at the moment ... the tech team are aware ... hopefully it'll be sorted soon.  

I take it these are 'standard' type roses ... are they in pots or in the ground.

I've never known a rosebush to be attacked and killed by cabbage whites ....... what were the symptoms?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Current rose - Yes it's a standard tree rose. It is planted into a large pot. 

Previous dead rose - Maybe it wasn't cabbage white? It was doing really well and was in full bloom when I left for my holiday. 3 weeks later on my return it was full of white  Caterpillar type insect and was about a quarter of the size.

thanks for your reply dove.   

Was anyone watering it over those three weeks ... that's an awfully long time for any plant in the summer ... let alone one in full bloom.  

Had the caterpillars stripped the leaves just leaving the central vein and stalks ... if so it's a saw fly.  Spoils the look but won't kill the plant.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes it was all getting watered. It was absolutely covered in them. Probably 1cm is size. It didn't immediately die. But never seemed to recover properly and died later that year. 

Just to clarify this is a separate rose to the one that is struggling now. This is the one I lost 3 years ago. 

Thanks 

Ah gotcha ... I was confused image

Think photos are uploading now ... Can we have a look?

imageimageimage

Some of the leaves have started to go red on the edges. Could this be rust or another problem?

I can't see anything that looks like 'rust' but it doesn't look totally healthy ... it's a bit congested which would make it susceptible to fungal infections, especially in warm dampness ... do you know which variety it is?  Some are more prone to such things than others ...