Climate change or just The Weather!

Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,305

If you have seen my other recent posts you will note I have been a slave to watering recently. This is mostly because I have more time, when working I grew my plants tough especially on the Allotment, apart from Salads Tomatoes & Courgettes everything else got watered in well & then had to stand tough. I got reasonably good crops- I still do. Most veg still do ok with one crop succeeding another in the usual way. However one big change is hard to ignore, over the past 5-10 years the  fruit in particular shows an unmistakable trend. Soft fruit comes in with a bang but does not last, where before it all followed an orderly pattern Strawberries, Raspberries Loganberries & Blackberries, with Cherries & Plums bulking out the July August fruit until the blackberries in September October. Now the Raspberries overlap the Strawbs, both gone already, blink & you miss the loganberries also gone. The summer Sun Cherry was finished by end of June not due till now. Plums ripening already as are the blackberries, they will be finished before August at this rate. Also for the first time I am having to water- all of it - including the cordon Apples & pears, apart from Strawberries I never used to bother, just mulch well & let them get on with it, I know commercially they always irrigate soft fruit in particular but we never needed to before. I have not changed any of the varieties,  they were all chosen for the succession I outlined but they seem to be merging in to one.

Are others finding the same thing or is it just the London Heat Island effect!!

AB Still learning

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,621

NO, HERE IN RAIN DRENCHED DERBYSHIRE EVERYTHING IS GOING BY THE BOOK.

STRAWBERRIES JUST BEGINNING TO PETER OUT, RASPS STILL GOING STRONG (OR SO THE BIRDS TELL ME), BLACKCURRANTS JUST PICKED, REDCURRANTS WERE BIRDFOOD LAST WEEK, SOME GOOSEGOG VARIETIES RIPE BUT OTHERS STILL HARD AND GREEN, PEARS THE SIZE AND TEXTURE OF WALNUTS, APPLES DITTO, PLUMS HARD AND GREEN AND I NEVER EVER SEE A CHERRY BUT THEY WERE APPRECIATED BY SOMEBODY ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO BEFORE THEY TURNED RED.

I REMEMBER THE SUMMERS IN LONDON. THEY WERE MUCH HOTTER THAN HERE EVEN TEN YEARS AGO. THEY STILL ARE. I WATCH WIMBLEDON, WONDERING IF I AM BEING SILLY TO THINK ABOUT PUTTING THE HEATING ON, AND MARVEL AT IT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,372

I put the heating on, and my Ugg boots, and a fleece jacket.

The blackcurrants here are at least a week early. I should be picking them , but it has been tipping down all day.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • TomCranhamTomCranham Posts: 139

Really interesting (and scary) topic. It's definitely climate change. Global warming as some like to refer to it isn't just about rising temperatures but mostly erratic weather, and in that a greater occurrence of extremes of weather. More countries need to follow France's example against carbon emissions.

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,360

I remember wrapping up wearing winter coats and gloves to protect us from the freezing cold, feeling very sorry for the american cheer leaders in their skimpy uniforms, every St.Patricks Day's during my childhood and teen years..... not so much in the last 10/15 years.

Also, what happened all the April showers?

It's difficult to understand those who don't see the obvious signs of changing seasons/climate change.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,059

I know I will be severely castigated for this, but are the climate change deniers the same people who voted for BREXIT.

It does not surprise me, that D. Trump is a denier and confirms that the opposite must be true.

As some of you know, I spent a little time working with the scientists in the Arctic. If you did not believe before hand, a few weeks with them, would convince you.

There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,305

Thanks for the comments.  Oh yes I would believe David Attenborough over  the Donald any day,& don't start me on the pests & diseases- things we see now we never had before. I fully accept the current hot spell in the South east is just seasonal change, we have had them before notably 1976 but the trends I see now are unmistakable. 

AB Still learning
  • MortuusMortuus Posts: 18

We have had almost 3 weeks of constant rain in the north east and very little sign of the sun, everything is waterlogged.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,296

the trouble with some deniers, is that , if they don't see it in their own garden, then it's just not happening. 

Mortuus, pure coincidence my post comes after yours. I'm NOT saying you're a denier, honest.

Summer deluges and droughts are both part of the predicted pattern now. 

Sea temperatures are rising, sea levels are rising. It makes no difference what's happening in my garden, town, county, or even country. "Climate" is no respecter of borders.

Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,305

As others have said more extremes becoming more frequent, 2 winters ago our lower plots were under water this year it's a drought!

Just heard on the radio an Iceberg the size of Wales has broken away from the Antarctic ice shelf! 

AB Still learning
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,059

The Penguins are going on a little holiday.

There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.