Forum home Plants

Propogate polemonium question

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

Hello, does anybody know how and when to divide Polemonium (variety Brise d'Anjou)? I want to give some to somebody. Or should I collect the flower seeds and grow from seed?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,524

Hi wakeshine. I have that one growing in my garden as I love the variegated leaves. It should be divided in Spring. I'm not sure about seeds. I cut the flowers off mine as I prefer to just see the leaves. I have a plain green one in another area of my garden which I let flower.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

Thanks Ladybird. Yes the leaves are really beautiful. It's grown really fast too and has filled the big pot I put it in. Will attempt division in spring then.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

it won't come true from seed though you could be lucky and get some variegated ones.

If it's not flowering I'd do it now, it's a good growing time. cut off some leaves and it will make some new ones.

When you say cut off some leaves, what do you mean ? This is it now. Hope you can see it properly:image

I see we still have a photos issue image

Polemoniums are quite leafy. When I split plants I remove a lot of the older, larger leaves so there's just a small number of small leaves for the roots to support and it all grows away very quickly. 

Some plants, like hardy geraniums, have little or no leaf remaining but soon take off

Hmmm okay, thanks Nutcutlet. When the photos issue is fixed I will try and upload again and perhaps you can point to exactly where I should cut it all off. Thanks x

A gardening forum with no photos is a non-starter isn't it. 

Yes. I have found when I come here to ask a question and want to upload photos, it doesn't work. Lots of technical issues on this site.