Forum home Plants

Rose Cornelia

Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

Hi, I've recently purchased a rose cornelia......the label said it's a ground cover rose yet some info on the Web say it can grow to 5' x 5'.  Does anybody grow it?  What size can/does it grow to as I need to decide where to plant it. 

Thanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,467

Hi Mary. It is not a ground covering rose but it does have a spreading growth habit. It will eventually reach that height and width you mention.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

I'm surprised it's labelled ground cover. They may be lumping smaller sized blooms under patio category. This rose has sprays of smaller sized flowers but spreads quite wide, so may be the reason for that written on the tag. Lovely rose nonetheless and will look great in an informal setting.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102

I've not grown it myself but I've seen it grown in other gardens ... I'd definitely not call it a ground cover rose ... I've seen Rosa Bonica called ground cover too ... not in my book ... I'd call both of them lower-growing shrubs ... wider than they are tall, but not ground cover ... I think that's misleading. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,099

I have this rose and it's one of my favourites for its long flowering season and freedom of flower.... you can keep it about 4-5 foot high but it will spread wider, and after about 3 seasons, will throw out a very long cane that can grow to 10 foot or so, this makes it suitable for training over an archway if you prefer...  

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

Thanks for the information everyone.

Marlorena....how and when do you prune it?