Forum home Plants

Do foxgloves come true?

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508

Foxgloves appear here and there in my garden every year and they are very welcome.
I've saved masses of seed from a pink one . Will plants raised from this seed also be pink or will I get the full spectrum of foxglove colours? Coz I don't want just pink

Thanks

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595

if you look at the base of the seedling, if you see any purplish colouring, they're going to be pink. If just pure green, they're more likely to be white. 

Not 100% accurate, but I've been whittling out the pink ones by doing this.

Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508

Thanks Hosta - so I take it I'll get the full mix of colours from the seed of a pink foxglove then?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368

if you've got a mix you'll get a mix, totally unpredictable what's in in. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    Pete8 says:

Thanks Hosta - so I take it I'll get the full mix of colours from the seed of a pink foxglove then?

See original post

It depends on what the parentage of the 'parents' are ... if both parents are from a long line of mainly pink flowers, then the majority of the seeds will produce mainly pink but  if there are lots of cream, white, spotted etc in the ancestry the offspring will be more varied.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ah! thanks nut and Dove. I've saved about 4 billion seeds from a pink one thinking if I sow and grow them I can the plant them where I want them rather than where they spring up - which is usually at the very front of the border.
    I'll disperse the 'pink' seed here and there and will save some seed from a lovely lemony one that's just gone over instead and sow that.

Thanks again!

Hopefully you'll be able to assist with my next post in a while when I've taken a pic of my butternut squash that is taking over the whole veg patch.... time for a sarnie first!

The photo upload Gremlins have come back Pete ... you may have to wait a while before uploading a pic ... the tech team are trying to sort it.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

And of course, it your bees have been cross-pollinating your lemony one with your pink ones you'll get a good selection

Wot AGAIN!

Thanks Dove - I'll get a photo up when it's fixed

And I look forward to my lemony-pink foxgloves next year :)

The glitch appears to be something to do with some of the adverts ... which of course pay for the site ... but hopefully they can sort it soon.  image