Forum home Plants

Perennial sweet peas in pots / planting out?

Paul449Paul449 Posts: 8

Apologies if this is a daft question but as a new convert to gardening the enthusiasm to knowledge ratio is imbalanced and this is a first post so be kind!.

Having successfully grown some lathyrus pink pearl from seed to a current height of 20cm and potted them on we are now looking for a permanent home.

I am keen to plant them out but we are concerned they will be eaten whilst young by rabbits / fieldmice (we live in in a rural area with farmland all around) - is this a false worry?

If pots are OK - what sort of size will we need?

Thanks in advance...

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hi Paul, I have some perennial sweet peas that I grow in pots (approx 40cm I think).  I've read others comment that they can be thuggish when planted into the garden, so pots seem to be better to keep them in check.  

They will need something to support them as they climb, a simple tripod of bamboo canes would do in a round pot, or you could have a trellis backed square planter.

They are thirsty plants so keep them well watered in dry weather.  Sorry I can't advise about possible rabbit/mice chomping (city gardening for me) but they're pretty tough plants.  

• Paul449Paul449 Posts: 8

Thanks Kitty

Very helpful, I have half a mind to put them over an arch with a square planter at the base on each side so that sounds quite positive.

Paul

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,067

Hi Paul - in my experience, rabbits, especially the youngsters, will have a go at almost anything, especially any emerging new growth in spring, so it would be worth protecting them even in the containers. They'll jump up onto anything lower than couple of feet or even more - higher if they have access - so a simple mesh cage round the containers would be worth using, at least when new growth is about to start. Enough to deter them and send them to a different plant! 

I'd do the same if you plant in the ground. Tree protectors or similar to keep the  soft growth above munching height.

Some years they will be worse than others because of sheer quantities, but it's really heartbreaking if you've nurtured something and it disappears overnight. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Don't be sorry philippa,  I was only going off others forum comments image.  Mine have always been in their pots, it's good to hear another opinion.  

Maybe Paul's peas would be better planted in the ground to get maximum coverage of an arch, they would certainly grow taller with more root room, and Fairy's given some good tips for protecting the young plants. 

Last edited: 10 July 2017 17:33:41

• Paul449Paul449 Posts: 8

You have all been really helpful.

I don't mind if they grow lots because the garden is large.  We'll grow them on a bit first and then see.  Sounds like we could do either ground or pots.

May have to rabbit proof though....

thanks very much to all.