Forum home Plants

Acer

Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193

Three years ago I bought a tiny acer from  outside acut price shop. It is now two feet six tall , it is throwing off long fronds which are protruding about about two feet beyond the the rest of the branches. The acer is green with deep cut leaves. There wasn't a label with it so Idont know its name . I have never come across anything like this before . Is this a mutation. Could it be a weeping acer . Help please.

Occasional flights into reality. B) 

• Some pics would definitely help diagnose the issue image

• Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193

imageHi Dave I have tried to load some pics  but can't at the  moment. Will try later.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hi Ruby,  your description of "deep cut leaves" and "weeping habit" is making me want to guess at an acer palmatum dissectum.

I've no idea what's going on with the fronds image.  Possibly growth from a vigorous rootstock if its a grafted tree. I get this happen with my twisted hazel, not sure whether acers are generally grafted.  

Once the photo glitch is fixed we can have a proper look, just guessing at the moment image

imageimageimageAt last!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,520

Ruby, there is nothing wrong with your tree. As Kitty stated, check to see if its a grafted tree. Tiny acers do not stay tiny for long, Thats how they grow. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,742

This is what happens to those long fronds if they get 30 years to play with.

Ruby, now I've seen the photos, I think your acer looks fine.  It's just having a bit of a growth spurt image.  Don't think it's grafted as the leaves are all the same.

That's a mighty beast you've got there K-O-G. Fantastic specimen ? Great pic ?.

Lovely photo as always DHR.  I see you have one of those pesky "dwarf conifers", getting too big for it's boots ?. Good that you saw fit to hoik one out before it "dwarfed" your pond image.

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

As above mentioned looks ok to me, just some fast growth and over eager branches :) 

I have a orange dream that has quite a bit of sun scorch on top. Is it ok for me to give it a trim now? Pruning will promote new thicker growth right? 

Thank you every one for your help., much appreciated. Great pics .??

Hi Torg.  Off the top of my head, I think pruning when it's dormant is recommended for acers.  Something to do with the sap rising.  DHR will know better, I think he does his front garden lollipop acer in early spring.