Hoglet!

BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,623

Hi all, I was thrilled when I reviewed my trailcam photos from Friday night - it looks like I have a new baby hedgehog at the watering hole.

Mummy (I assume) hog:

and hoglet:

Just off out to collect memory card for last night to see if there are more photos.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,275

imageimage

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 782

That's wonderful!

We have had 2 fatalities on the roads round here in the past week and I only saw 1 hog in the past couple of days,normally have 3-4 each night so am a bit worried.

Trail cam will go out again tonight!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • It's great to see a hedgehog success!!!

They've chosen your garden for a reason and kudos to you Sir for creating a habitat they're breeding in!

• ShepsSheps Posts: 699

Super news. Bob...and great to see the little hoglet image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,623

Dave, the garden has been pesticide free for several years now and I actively encourage wildlife by having lots of 'untidy' areas and piles of wood etc., so there's food & cover.  I'm sure that's one of the main reasons.image  Fresh water every night too which is heavily used by the birds during the day.

They were both back again last night - Mum first then hoglet 10 minutes later:

imageimage

Last edited: 09 July 2017 20:20:30

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,510

imageimage

• FifsFifs Posts: 38

How wonderful Bob ? 

We've had a hog visiting us for a couple of months now and 2 nights ago couldn't believe it when it was joined by another one at our back door for the nightly visit to hog biscuits & water!  It would seem from the circling, stalking & much snuffling there's a mating ritual in progress!!  Crossing fingers for hoglets ?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,623

Ooh, let's hope so Fifs!  They can get quite loud when 'in the mood' can't they! image

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,542

Well done Bob, brill news! Would love to see the new video footage. image

• FifsFifs Posts: 38

They certainly can Bob!!