Forum home Problem solving

Shrub

My Choiysa  has already bloomed this year with a few red flowers.

I have pruned it back as it was getting too big.

It has now developed what look like small green apples. Are these seed pods and if they are what do I do with them?

Thank you.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964

Hello WitchyPoo ; I feel bound to tell you that there is no Choisya with red flowers ! All white .

Your green 'apples' sound more like a 'Quince' at this time of year (Chaenomeles sp.) . Any chance of a photo ? (Of the shrub that is)image

Having said that , I now recall seeing a pink variety years ago ; I think it was Choisya Pink Lady or something like that .

• Have never come close to a quince.... or a witch.

But if the clippings smell like a witch's bed pan, it's likely a Choisya image

• Bought this in the garden centre and definitely had a tag on it saying Choiysa we bought two 1 orange/red and one white, the white one died the other is thriving. Not sure how to send picture will talk to my son, as i am not that computer literate.

• Never smelt a witches bed pan so can't comment. Clippings smell ok.

• Hello Paul

thank you for your info. I have just looked up the Chaenomeles, and you are quite right it has the exact same fruit on the branch as shown in the photos I looked out, so now I need to know how and when to prune it. Any suggestions?

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/flowering-quince/flowering-quince-pruning.htm

Even though an American website , the same info applies . Hope it helps !

• Witchy poo says:

Never smelt a witches bed pan so can't comment. Clippings smell ok.

See original post

You need to get out more often image

As the clippings don't smell like urine of an evil form, it's not a Choisya.