Forum home Plants

My cactus is turning black ?!

eveyt84eveyt84 Posts: 7

Hi, I was hoping  that someone could help me identify what's wrong with my beloved cactus.

I got him about 3 years ago as a present and was bought from a garden centre.

I have just noticed that he is going black at the top. This has happened over the last 6 months I believe as he was fine then.

I also am not sure what type he is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

Last edited: 09 July 2017 16:59:02

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

A picture would help if possible .image

• eveyt84eveyt84 Posts: 7

I've tried a few times but the function must not be working. I'll try again with this post.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Are the black areas soft?

No they are firm like the rest of her.  It looks almost as if she has been burnt with fire.

Would it make a difference if I tried to up load the photo from a computer instead of my phone?

Has your cactus had a sex-change since your first post ?image What was a he is now a she ?? Do try a photo asap .

Ah ha ha no no he is a he. I'll try upload from my laptop just now ...

imageimageimage

Finally managed to load some pictures of Titan. 

Looks like a particularly vicious form of Echinopsis (Trichocereus) pasacana ; S.American origins ,Peru I believe .  The growing point (tip) appears intact , but the brown marks will linger on unfortunately .

I don't know your growing conditions , but mine are all thriving in a well ventilated greenhouse , full sun , plenty of sterilised rainwater (acidic conditions needed for all cacti) and fresh air on hot days .

The 'scorch' marks are often a result of high humidity , but if windowsill grown this should not be a problem .

There is not the consistent warmth in the UK for them to thrive outside , but if you've access to a greenhouse for the summer months , don't hesitate to water freely providing it is in a well drained growing medium . I avoid the word 'compost' , 'cos this conjures images of soggy John Innes or Erin .

Mine flourish in an 80% granite chippings and 20% sterile soil mix (free-draining but moisture retentive) . This might sound paradoxical , but strictly means not standing in water for too long ; a common fallacy is that cacti need barely any water ; I can't give mine enough in the summer , plus MiracleGro . Incidentally , I don't live in some hot climate , but near the coast in Lincolnshire . Hope to have helped image

So you think my growing conditions have caused the black marks ? 

I will re-pot him.

I don't have access to a green house. All my cacti are house bound and non of my others have got this at all.

Thanks for your advice 

Thanks for your answer ; could it be possible that the hot-sunshine through your window may have scorched 'Titan' ?