Forum home Plants

Climbers for cottage style garden, advice most welcome.

Rachel173Rachel173 Posts: 2

Hello,  we've recently bought a house with a beautiful cottage style garden. There is a breeze block wall that stands out like a sore thumb so I'm hoping to coax some climbers to cover it. Enthusiastic but novice gardener! 

Should I paint it first, I'm thinking it will take years to get a good covering. Trellis or wires? What to grow? As you'll see, I'm clueless! 

Lovely sunny garden that has no problems growing hydrangeas, hebe, hardy fuscias etc.

Help very much appreciated

Rachel.image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Personally, I would paint it first.  Having it rendered is another option but not cheap.  Is the wall curved - it looks like it but that may be a photographic effect?  If so, I would be tempted to use galvanised wires held in place by vine eyes.  Lots of climbers to choose from.  I love clematis so those would be my first choice but I'm sure others will give you lots of other ideas. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

I'd paint it too - you won't be able to do it after the climbers have covered it.  I have a breezeblock wall in my front garden and it looks a lot better just for being painted white.  As for plants, can I put in a word for ivy?  It needn't be gloomy, there are lots of lovely variegated ivies.  I bought seven different ones from a nursery called Fibrex, I found them very good people to deal with.  Ivy is self-clinging so needs no support, and the flowers and berries support wildlife.  Once it's established, it's maintenance free, unless it get too enthusiastic and needs cutting back.

• Rachel173Rachel173 Posts: 2

Thank you all so very much! I'm thinking to plant in 3 places due to the expanse of the wall and the existing plants, will I plant an evergreen and a clematis in each spot perhaps? 

Bob the wall is curved, hook and eyes should be OK I hope? 

Thanks again for all your helpful comments to a hopeless novice! 

• dozyrosiedozyrosie Posts: 15

Hi

I have a concrete wall which is quite shady, and it really depressed me until - against the advice of my decorator husband! - I painted it a terracotta colour. Now it feels lovely and Mediterranean, and my neighbours on both sides have followed suit!

Good luck!

Rosette

• I would paint it and cover with Ivy or Boston Ivy which is a vine.

Careful though Boston Ivy is a variety of Virginia Creeper "Parthenocissus quinquefolia" I wouldn't buy this one: Boston Ivy "Parthenocissus tricuspidata" is less vigorous and smaller.

I would probably paint it and plant a couple of different variegated Ivy's though, no need for wires or anything. To add colour wait a few years then add Scottish Flame Flower "Tropaeolum speciosum" or a clematis which will climb the Ivy on its own without supports (The Ivy will be the supporting structure).