Forum home Plants

Celosia Plumosa

emgoanemgoan Posts: 5

Hi all! I was recently given this very unusual looking plant as a gift. I have just kept it in its original pot and watered it from time to time but recently it has started to look a little droopy. I have spent all morning working out what kind of plant it is, but I am struggling to find care information about it. 

I live on the west coast of Scotland, so I don't think i should put it outside? Any info or tips on how to keep it happy and healthy would be much appreciated! Thanks, Emily

• Photo please ?

• emgoanemgoan Posts: 5

imageimageimage

Recently its leaves have changed colour a little and the base of the flowers have gone lighter.
    Thanks!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

I used to grow them from seed as a kid - which was a long time ago...
    They're not long-lived plants and are usually treated as annuals.
    Their job in life is to grow, flower, set seed, then die.
    You can prolong it a bit by removing the flower stems as soon as they start to die back (so preventing seed setting), but it will give up after a while.
    You're doing nothing wrong, its just the plant going through its life-cycle
    Sow some seed next year and you can have lots of brightly coloured plumes - they're easy to grow

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • As pete8 says grows in the U.K. as a annual, you can grow it outside as a annual will not over winter also the pot it's in does look a little small but proberly too late to change it now it could also do with a feed maybe with tomato feed.

• emgoanemgoan Posts: 5

Oh no that's a shame! Thank you for all the information. 
    When is it best to sow the seeds for next year? 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

Sown in Spring (March/April) and kept reasonably warm they should be in flower by June (ish)
    There will be a better selection available towards the end of the year, but to give some idea-

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Flower-Seed/Other-Varieties/Celosia-Look-Eternal-Flames.html

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.