Forum home Plants

6ft + what to plant

DebrisDebris Posts: 2

Hi. I need to plant some thing that will grown to around 7fT high and around 3ft wide to hide the fence. I would also like it to flower/add colour to the garden in the summer for longer than a couple of weeIs. I have a Forsythia at end of the fence so need something at the other. Any suggestion? Many thanks.   

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

A repeat flowering climbing rose?

• DebrisDebris Posts: 2

Sorry, should have said I dislike roses! Wondering if a salix is a good idea? 

• dozyrosiedozyrosie Posts: 15

Jasmine? Clematis?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,263

Salix?  How big is the garden and how close to the house and drains is the planting site?  Very few salix are a good idea in a 'normal sized' garden.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarineliliumMarinelilium Posts: 213

Hello Debris. Did you want the fence cover to be evergreen? If the fence faces North or NEast then a Hydrangea x petiolaris will do the job. Honeysuckle or clematis could scramble through it. A succession of pretty pots, at its feet, can add more seasonal loveliness through the year.

A south facing fence can have fruit trained up it. Lots of shrubs can be pruned to 7' X 3'.

If it is a damp spot then CLUMP forming Bamboo can screen fences all year round too.

What's the compass aspect and what is your soil like Debris?

MLx