Forum home Plants

Plant/shrub ID please

CB7CB7 KentPosts: 24

Two photos. Shrub is approx .75m high & arching. Roots where it touches the ground. Lots of dead so I'm keen to find out what it is so I can prune/care properly.  Flowers in spring.image image 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

I'm trying to work out whether you have two plants in one place. Rubus Fructicosus, a bramble grown on top of Crataegus Monogyna, common hawthorn. 

• CB7CB7 KentPosts: 24
    Borderline says:

I'm trying to work out whether you have two plants in one place. Rubus Fructicosus, a bramble grown on top of Crataegus Monogyna, common hawthorn. 

See original post
    Hi Borderline, thanks for your reply.  Its def one plant. The older stems are woody & have smaller leaves (in the photo - with the dead flowers on them) & the new stems have much larger leaves & the stems are smooth & a pinkish colour. These stems are attached to the old wood. There are no thorns at all & it def doesn't fruit. The flowers are white. I also thought it looked like a hawthorn or some kind of currant but it def has no berries/fruits - it is a mystery. I have googled a lot! 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

I have looked again, and just cannot work out which plant it is. It still looks like some kind of currant plant. Is it possible someone may have pruned it before, which is why you have not seen any kind of berries/fruit? I do hope someone here can help you based on the leaf shapes and style as I'm seeing two rather than one plant.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,854

I think it's a rubus but not a blackberry.

There are many species

I think if you cut off everything it would come back with renewed vigour

• CB7CB7 KentPosts: 24

Thank you both. I have searched online for rubus  varieties & have yet to find one that matches exactly but there are pictures that look very similar. I'll prune & see how it goes.