Hi all , a few questions please.

Hope everyone on GW is having a nice Summer......here in Russia it is miserable .....13 degrees and raining....normally ~30 this time of year ....thank you Mr El Ninoimage

Just been out in the rain looking at the garden and have a few questions please......the first one is 

What is this amazing plant .....it was planted by my wife a couple of years ago to hide the cover of our septic tank.....or as she calls it ,affectionately , the pooh tank!

The next one is this......how come these two flowers are so different on the same stalk?

and finally , we decided to plant some trees between our fence and the lake 10 years ago and they have gone a bit crazy ....we want to thin them out , when is the best time to do so?

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,298

I think the pink shrub is a Spirea

• Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,659

13c sounds quite tempting when the temps here have been late 20's for the last week, with no breeze or shade anywhere in my garden. And no real rain for months.

As Mary says above it is a Spriea japonica - I've got a couple - but not doing as well as yours!
    Sometime between autumn and spring I give it a chop back, as much or as little as you like and it soon bounces back to life.
    Your petunia flower will likely turn the same colour as the other one in a day or two.

Not sure about your trees tho....

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • DachaloverDachalover Posts: 776

Cheers Mary/Pete .....the Spriea seems to be thriving in this cooler damp weather !

Mine usually flowers in spring, but this year it's only just coming into flower now and not looking too good either. The lack of rain over the last 2 years is worrying, not to mention the hours and hours of lugging watering cans up and down the garden 

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Pete

Ours is growing like wildfire .......can't imaging what it must be like lugging watering cans , we are very lucky to be located next to a lake and we use these two pumps to water when needed , haven't used them once this year.....all the plants are enjoying nature's watering canimage

What a cracking display they give planted in a big group - and certainly an improvement on the pooh-tank cover.

I bet those pumps can shift some water :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,848

What sort of trees are they?  I can't really tell from here ... 

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,438

Hello Dachalover.

Des that Spirea have golden leaves when it first comes out, then they get greener as it flowers? I have one like that, called "Goldflame".

The petunia on the right is younger than the petunia on the left.

yes ...BL ...nice name Goldflame1